At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Aircraft Flight Operation Engineer involves the application of scientific and technological principles to the capability and aerodynamics characteristics of B747 as rocket launch platform, including, but not limited to performance, stability and control, handling quality, weight and balance, and relative trade studies. Aircraft Flight Operation Engineer also researches design specifications and operation requirements for launch platform aircraft and the relevant flight and ground support equipment.
• Develop and establish aircraft performance, such as fuel burn, optimized cruise speed, and mission range
• Evaluate and establish aircraft stability and control characteristics in support of aircraft operation and future development
• Support design and analysis for airplane handling qualities
• Update and maintain simulation models to ensure consistency with aircraft performance and intended flight/launch operation
• Perform flight test planning and data reduction
• Update and maintain aircraft weight and balance and develop aircraft loading/uploading procedure
• Support future engineering design concepts and trade studies
• Execute projects within defined scope, timeline and cost
• Report project status and issues to management on periodic basis
• Assist in performance analysis of next gen launch platform
• Conduct technical evaluation of new design proposals and engineering changes
• Provide technical support and guidance in flight operations
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these
• Bachelor’s Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics discipline from an accredited university and 4 years of Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace / defense environment OR
• Master’s Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics discipline from an accredited university and 2 years of Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace / defense environment
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too...
• Experience working on aircraft performance, stability and control, handling quality, flight operation, and weight and balance, particularly in large commercial aircraft
• Experience in developing, managing, and decomposing requirements
• Experience in aeronautical engineering project for large commercial jet
• Strong People and Technical Leadership Skills
• Excellent communication Skills (upward and downward)
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Search all of our job openings— www.VirginOrbit.com
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.