At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as Aircraft Systems Engineer . If you join us in this position, you will assist in developing and defining aircraft system-level design concepts that meet the mission needs of our launch mission. Aircraft Systems Engineers work with all engineering disciplines needed to develop system requirements and architectures and establish systems capabilities and operational concepts. Aircraft systems engineering activities include aircraft system architecture design, trade studies, specification development, requirement definition and allocation, power management, performance analysis and simulation, system modeling and simulation tool development. Aircraft system engineer should also support relative component design, integration, and test. Aircraft systems include, but are not limited to pneumatic, hydraulic, electric/power, and flight control for the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
• Develop detailed solutions for aircraft system technical problems
• Identify technical improvements to enhance safety, reliability or efficiency
Assist in diagnosing and troubleshooting repairs and malfunctions.
• Prepare clear and accurate aircraft system engineering documentation including operating/maintenance procedures as well as fault isolation procedure to implement the engineering solutions
• Ensure all repairs and modifications are in compliance with company regulations and FAA CFR standards
• Execute projects within defined scope, timeline and cost.
• Report project status and issues to management on periodic basis.
• Assist in system integration of next gen launch platform.
• Work with engineering departments, flight operations, aircraft manufacturer, and regulatory personnel to effectively carry out aircraft system development and modification
• Conduct technical evaluation of new design proposals and engineering changes
• Provide technical support and guidance in flight operations.
• Perform technical risk assessments and hazardous analysis of aircraft system design and assist in the preparation of risk and hazardous mitigation plans
• Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
• Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
• Performs other duties as assigned
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these
• Bachelor’s Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics discipline from an accredited university and 4 years of Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace / defense environment OR
• Master’s Degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics discipline from an accredited university and 2 years of Systems Engineering experience in an aerospace / defense environment.
• Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
• Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
• Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
• Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too...
• Master’s Degree in Engineering
• Experience working on aircraft systems, particularly in large commercial aircraft
• Experience in developing, managing, and decomposing requirements
• Experience in aircraft system architecture and system engineering
• Experience in aircraft system integration
• Strong People and Technical Leadership Skills
• Excellent communication Skills (upward and downward)
• Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
• Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Search all of our job openings— www.VirginOrbit.com
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.