At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking key technical talent to form our team of Launch Engineers. This position will interface directly with Flight, Launch, and various technology teams to operate and improve the LauncherOne vehicle. The chosen candidate will be responsible for real time evaluation of launch system readiness while operating onboard our 747 aircraft “Cosmic Girl”. Excellent communication skills and an ability to function under pressure is a must. The ideal teammate will have experience in hazardous operations of complex propulsion systems and creative troubleshooting of integrated data acquisition and control systems. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. It is a full-time position based out of our rocket factory in Long Beach, California, with regular travel to Mojave and other Spaceports around the world.
- Partner with technical teams to develop and continually improve mission rules, procedures, and data displays to ensure mission success and safety
- Evaluate the risk and impact of design modifications to mission operations
- Evaluate and respond to real-time telemetry and communications, including recovery from anomalous situations
- Be an effective part of the flight crew responsible for carrying out the LauncherOne mission onboard Cosmic Girl aircraft
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Flexibility to travel up to 25% of the time, including interstate and international
- Perform other duties as assigned
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in an Engineering field
- Operational experience in hazardous testing and real-time evaluation
- Broad spectrum of understanding and troubleshooting across numerous types of electromechanical systems
- Proven ability to be part of a team on the ground, in the air, during nominal operations and emergency situations
- Demonstrated leadership and self-discipline
- Effective and scalable oral and written communications under pressure
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too
- Integration and launch are one team. The ideal candidate will be able to support launch operations and be part of the launch team
- Experience in low cost commercial space system ventures
- Experience with handling and transportation of unique project hardware
- Experience with vehicle-level integration, test, and launch operations of flight hardware
- Experience with pressurized systems, procedures, and best practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and problem-solving skills
- Strong team player
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Search all of our job openings— www.VirginOrbit.com
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.